+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Interracial dating

Interracial dating

I was just curious on how everyone looks at interracial couples. I recently met a female of the opposite race and though most everyone in my life will be accepting of it. I know my dad may have a hard time adjusting to it. So I am not sure how this will play out. It's not set in stone that we will be dating or anything but we're already setting up multiple times this week to spend a little bit of time together. So how do you all feel about it!?

dating? sure!
    marrying? probably not.
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

What do you mean "opposite race"?
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

i'm white and my ex was chinese, tbh looking back there were loadsa issues that made it impossible for us to stay together due to culture differences. try it and see how it goes
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

cultural difference is what kills my attraction to the other person in long term relationships. dating, having sex, going out can be done with anyone. but if the depth of their soul is not the same as mine, if they have not read the same books as I have, or listened to the same music, it would make it really hard for me to communicate on the same or similar level.
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

Differences in appearances alone wouldn't warrant an incompatibility too great to overcome. It's cultural differences... and of course -- differences in general that are the real barriers to overcome. As long as you can always find some middle ground, then the relationship can work.

I'd say go for it...
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

I mean thus far we tend to have a lot of similar interests and we stand on pretty common ground. Again it's still very very early and I'm not even sure if it's at a point to consider us dating. I've met some family and plan on introducing her to some people that are important to me this weekend. It will be interesting to see how things play out. She's quite a bit younger than me *5 years* which doesn't honestly bother me. The age/race blah blah blah are all irrelevant in my opinion. I just think the only one who may have issues would be my father. I started to try to open up a conversation on it this afternoon as we were out picking some things up but I didn't get to the actual point of things. Told him her name and such and some details which I thought may indicate some things in his mind in hopes he may ask but that was epic failure. I'll attempt to again though I will probably be more direct and as everyone has a myspace I typically show him pictures of whomever I am seeing at the time just to get his opinion. I'll probably just go that route and treat it as normal because that's all it is to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Justsomeone22 View Post
    ...I'll probably just go that route and treat it as normal because that's all it is to me...
    Good idea. And just TELL your dad. Be like, "By the way, i'm bringing *her name* over soon and i want you to understand that she's *race*. I really like her and i think you will too."

And if he doesn't approve? F**k him, we live in a time when we don't have to feel ashamed of liking someone from another race/culture. It's 2009 baby...
    "We are all connected to each other biologically, to the earth chemically and to the rest of the universe atomically.
    That’s kinda cool! That makes me smile and I actually feel quite large at the end of that.
    It’s not that we are better than the universe, we are part of the universe. We are in the universe and the universe is in us."
    — Neil deGrasse Tyson

So I just told him while we were eating dinner that there is a strong possibility that I will be dating a "black" girl. I mean again it's still early but I have a really good feeling that we're headed in the right direction considering she has me meeting her family and we've made future plans. Considering I have been doing this for quite a while it looks like this one is pretty much a done deal and we'll be taking things a little further when her and I are comfortable. Not the reaction I thought considering he didn't react at all...he literally said nothing after I said it. I'm sure he's just soaking it in now and we'll probably discuss it some other time. Obviously it's not important enough to him to over react and piss me off. Now that it's out there I just need to focus on making sure her and I actually progress things *fingers crossed* ahhh the joys of looking for love!

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    How old are you?

And how old is she?

Age is relevant when you take into consideration what stages of live each person is in.

I'm 24 at the end of the month she's 19

There's a difference between race and culture. The modern understanding of race is based on physical differences.

Race is the least important aspect of a person. However, if you're talking about cultural differences...that can be a problem to some people.

Did she grow up in a country different than yours?

If she grows up in the same cultural environment as yours then I don't see how its a problem.

However, if you're thinking about marriage, then there are implications. Usually when you marry someone, you're marrying their family too. So, if your parents speak a different language or have different cultural backgrounds (especially when the parents are very traditional) then it will pose communication problems.

However, I personally choose someone based on love and my personal compatability with them, I don't restrict myself based on narrow rules about who i should date/marry and who I shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by lesa View Post
    What do you mean "opposite race"?
    He's a Klingon and she's a Vulcan

Gah, do you really need it to be spelled out?
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~