+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Fiancees Elderly Male friend seems overfamiliar - problem?

Fiancees Elderly Male friend seems overfamiliar - problem?

Ladies,

I have asked the guys elsewhere but would appreciate a woman's view on this situation;

My Fiancee (we marry in 6 months and I've known her 2 years) maintains a 'friendship' with an elderly, unhappily married male (he 70, her 50) which has me wondering about overfamilairity. He fawns around her, doing jobs for her, e-mailing, phone calls and so on. A typical e-mail (which she showed me unintentionally) might go ' Hi [pet name], you naughty girl not calling me - when'X' (me) has gone I hope you can call me as I've missed seeing and chatting to you'. He has also always put off meeting me which doesn't seem appropriate to a friend.

My view of this is that I don't feel particularly threatened and I actually don't mind the firendship (he's an old family friend and I trust my Fiancee) but his language and manner niggle me. Not because he's a threat (at 70 and unwell he isn't) but it feels like I have to accept this behaviour because of his age/health. She says he's just a friend and appears not to detect the (to me) obvious sexual, flirtatious overtones of his calls. e-mails etc. It feels like an unhappily married elderly man indulging himself with a younger woman.

Should I be niggled by this (am I over-reacting) and, if it seems a little overfamiliar to you, what should I do?. Appreciate this is fairly mild compared to some problems but it remains a running sore for me.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Hm, I would write it off. The old guy is unhappy and likes the attention he gets. It's not like anything will happen between them.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Have you ever seen Kill Bill pt. 2?
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    she just like the attention that she's getting from him. dammit, you're marrying a flirt... what do you expect?

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Thanks for the comments folks. General opionion looks to be don't make a mountain out of a molehill so I'll press on without raising this with her at this point.

Thanks again.