+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Metro Etiquette

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Metro Etiquette

I'm picking a girl up in DC and we're going to the Verizon Center, not far from where she lives. I see no point in driving. Too much hassle. We'll be taking the subway.

She's a city gal, so she's got her metro pass and it's probably loaded up with money. Should I just take her on the train and let her pay her own way? What's the etiquette there? Obviously I'd buy her a ticket if she didn't all ready have one, and if by chance she needs to refill her card I'll slip her a fiver. But is it appropriate to offer her a few bucks for metro fare or should I not bother?
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You could say: Let's take a metro, do you have some money for the ticket? If not I can give you if you want

I wouldn't do a big deal out of this
    I wazzzz here

Yeah just ask her. Or get a metro card for yourself and offer to pay. If she'll nice she'll offer to pay for the next ride.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I learned the hard way that you can't use one metro pass to pay for two people. It keeps track of when you enter and it can't be used again until you exit. I've got a smartrip card of my own. I'd buy her a day pass, no sweat, but I'm sure she has her own smartrip card loaded up with money.

I just don't want her to think I'm being cheap if I waltz through the turnstile and wait for her on the other side. Not that she would. If she was a stuck up snot I wouldn't be dating her. But still.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

I wouldn't worry too much about it gerbil. Ask if she needs a card and offer to get her one. She'll likely say she already has one.

Just enjoy your subway ride. My time with my bf in ny in the subways have been some of my favorite memories. So simple. I'm a little jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by Petit Papillon View Post
    You could say: Let's take a metro, do you have some money for the ticket? If not I can give you if you want

I wouldn't do a big deal out of this
    As someone who uses the DC metro pretty much every day, this is the ideal thing to say. Don't make a big issue out of it