+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Such thing as a 'Christian' Illusionist

anachronistic Guest

Such thing as a 'Christian' Illusionist

That's right folks.

I went to a college event tonight. It was an illusionist. I went with one of my buddies, and there were lots of attractive women there, by the way. Anyhow, the show begins, and they get through 4 tricks, and then they close the curtains, and out comes this cheezy looking guy, who is the illusionist's partner. This is in the middle of the show, mind you. So, he introduces himself, and tells us his life story, about how he was from Puerto Rico, and he was kidnapped and sent to the US and he was tortured at a young age, and he grew up and moved to California, joined a gang, killed people and whatnot...

And then he told us that he became a Christian. Yeah, exactly what I was thinking; this guy basically took a huge shit on Christianity. I guess all his sins are forgiven because he became a Christian, and everything is just dandy now.

I've got nothing against Christianity; in fact, I used to be one myself... but while he went on and on with his right-winged Christian attitude, I was flustered, because I was reminded of every reason why I do not like the religion. I was sitting there, and I felt so hot and angry because I felt like I was being force-fed a religion. I think my friend and the fat bitch sitting next to me could tell that I was very upset; the air around me had to be at least 120 degrees. I was very flustered because I had paid $8 to have this guy (with all do respect) forcefully reintroduce old painful news by shoving it up my ass. I couldn't zone out, either. I couldn't day dream, I couldn't focus on something else, it was like I was restrained to the chair with my eyelids stitched open.

When he finally concluded, I thought it was ridiculous that he sent 'usher's around with 'usher plates' to collect 'donations'. Wasn't $8 enough? I mean, come on. That's just overdoing it. You bet your ass I put a nice little piece of paper full of comments in that tray though.

I could have sworn that I didn't see anything about Jesus or Christianity on the posters or the tickets, or anything. So I went back to look, and in the bottom-right corner, in size 3 Font (very ****ing small) it mentioned something about a spiritual confrontation. Isn't that a crock of shit? It's like, "Surprise cockfag!"

Ruined my night a bit.
    Last edited by anachronistic; 03-04-08 at 02:19 PM.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    whoa.. when did i turn into a christian?? damn, now i must repent just for saying that.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Christian Illusionist..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sq-YUdq1OI&NR=1"]YouTube - Derren Brown "instant conversion" part 1[/ame]
    [ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=-DylNVUN_3I"]YouTube - Derren Brown "instant conversion" part 2[/ame]
    Last edited by GrkScorp; 03-04-08 at 03:10 PM.
    If you can't stop the Wind, then you can't stop the Storm.

Define "illusionist", like a magician? If thats what you mean who cares. Christianity and harmlessly entertaining people in that way are not contradictory, and to assume they are is ignorant on your part for insinuating that they are. If can explain what this illusionist does that takes a shit on the Christian faith please do so.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If you are sure this was not advertised as a Christian event, I admit that I would be irritated. You paid money to be entertained, not proselytized to, and certainly not to be passed a collection plate. It sounds to me like this guy has learned to capitalize on the Jerry Springer-like public confession and Jerry Falwell-style evangelism. Yuck. How tacky. Did you ask for your money back?

I was in Salt Lake City once, and of course I wanted to go see the Mormon temple and hear the choir because they are both spectacular. I decided to take a historical tour, which was actually quite interesting until the end, when they started proselytizing. I ended up leaving the tour.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

oh gawd that shit bothers me. i know plenty of people who are this way.

including my sister. ugh, the rape of love and spirituality. i don't blame you for being angered by that.

what did you say on your note?

by the way one of my favorite quotes from the bible has a place here: faith without work is dead.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Tedel Guest
    That's one of the reasons Catholics like me consider those so-called Christians sects. They don't respect people's freedom, they just want to squeeze whatever they can from them.

i know plenty of catholics who are also like this.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You shouldn't really take offense to this, he wasn't making fun of you was he?

During one of my bio lectures a guest lecturer made fun of Catholicism for being against stem cell research in a very attacking way, I didn't really take much offense to it because I can drop that guys ass if he kept on being a prick

Tedel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    i know plenty of catholics who are also like this.
    Disgracefully, me too.

DM, Catholics have always been attacked, ridiculized, killed and a long etcetera... No surprise.

In general, I'm just happy with my faith. I think it has helped me keep some good strong moral standards, a general sensation of peace (which doesn't come from an illusion), and it has also brought a few side-benefits to my life. I can say I'm 29, without STDs, I don't take drugs and I haven't become a irresponsible father either, for instance; many of my friends can't.

For me, that's a small blessing to thank. No one needs to agree with me if he doesn't want to.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    A rabbi was arguing with 3 priests about the nature of God. After several hours of fierce arguing, the rabbi, in his frustration cried out

'oh God, you know i am right, please give me a Sign'. A moment later, dark storm clouds passed across an otherwise sunny sky. But the priests were unimpressed & the argument continued.

A few hours later, the rabbi again cried out: 'Oh God, you know I am right & your last sign went unbelieved, please give another, stronger sign of your might!'. So, a moment later, 4 dark storm clouds gathered & formed a ball of lightning that blasted a nearby tree.

The priests were still unimpressed, claiming the lightning was due to natural causes. The argument went on.

Finally, after several more exhausting hours, the Rabbi was just about to cry out when a voice boomed "HEEEEEEE'S RIIIIIIIIGHT!'

After a moment of stunned silence, the Rabbi turned to the priests. The priests returned his look & shrugged, saying:

"So? Now's its just 3 against two."
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

anachronistic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs7474 View Post
    Define "illusionist", like a magician? If thats what you mean who cares. Christianity and harmlessly entertaining people in that way are not contradictory, and to assume they are is ignorant on your part for insinuating that they are. If can explain what this illusionist does that takes a shit on the Christian faith please do so.
    Up yours, MCS. This guy was a killer, a gangster, a drug dealer, a rapist, what have you. He became a magician in order to 'learn' super natural powers. I was not offended until they came out and started preaching about how other religions are wrong and christianity is right and blah blah blah. Mind you, I paid $8 not knowing that this jackass was going to do this.

Quite frankly, I do not give a **** if christians are going to entertain me. I will watch their entertainment, I am not biased that way. Don't be an idiot and assume such things. They crossed the ****ing line by preaching. I would not have minded if I didn't pay $8 to get in, but that part in particular is what I find most offensive; charge people so that you can lock them up in a room and make them listen to you. When you have to stoop to such a level to get people to listen, you're doing something wrong.

The one thing I don't like about Christianity is how they do everything they can to get you to become a christian. In my own religion, we do not do that to people. I think it is wrong to force your views on other people. People need to come to their own understandings.

That's what this thread is about.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    If you are sure this was not advertised as a Christian event, I admit that I would be irritated. You paid money to be entertained, not proselytized to, and certainly not to be passed a collection plate. It sounds to me like this guy has learned to capitalize on the Jerry Springer-like public confession and Jerry Falwell-style evangelism. Yuck. How tacky. Did you ask for your money back?

I was in Salt Lake City once, and of course I wanted to go see the Mormon temple and hear the choir because they are both spectacular. I decided to take a historical tour, which was actually quite interesting until the end, when they started proselytizing. I ended up leaving the tour.
    Well, I feel it was purposely mis advertised. It's like those disclaimers written in a font that you can't read without a magnifying glass. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out, you know? Nobody is going to notice the small disclaimer in the bottom right corner. It looked like an ordinary school event, too.

That's kind of disappointing about the mormon thing, but at least you weren't charged? Going to their temple, you should expect them to do so. I would probably expect the same thing if I went to a mormon temple to do some family history research...

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    oh gawd that shit bothers me. i know plenty of people who are this way.

including my sister. ugh, the rape of love and spirituality. i don't blame you for being angered by that.

what did you say on your note?

by the way one of my favorite quotes from the bible has a place here: faith without work is dead.
    Maybe I am biased in the way that, that just because you become a christian or accept some sort of religion does not make anything better. The way I understand it... is...

"You do bad thing, bad thing happens to you. If you do good thing, good thing happens to you."

On my note, I just mentioned that I thought it was rude of them to try to force their beliefs on other people and how they should allow people to reason for themselves. I did not ask for my money back, because I did not try and get out. I would have tried if my friend wasn't there. The only reason I came was to keep my friend company; he had to write a paper on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    You shouldn't really take offense to this, he wasn't making fun of you was he?

During one of my bio lectures a guest lecturer made fun of Catholicism for being against stem cell research in a very attacking way, I didn't really take much offense to it because I can drop that guys ass if he kept on being a prick
    Ego. I do not need to fight in order to prove myself. I do not need to prove myself at all, because I have my own understandings. Let people think what they want to think. I do, however, like to point out ignorance.

DM, you don't need to make fun of someone to offend them. I was very offended that I had been forced into listening to this guy, after paying to be entertained. This guy was very biased, very right-winged christian. You know, the kind that is so sure of himself that nothing else could possibly ever be right.

I guess in a way, I am offended by ignorance.
    Last edited by anachronistic; 04-04-08 at 09:35 AM.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lilwing View Post
    They crossed the ****ing line by preaching. I would not have minded if I didn't pay $8 to get in, but that part in particular is what I find most offensive; charge people so that you can lock them up in a room and make them listen to you.
    Well, I suppose you could have stood up & said:

"Excuse me, I really wasn't expecting to pay to be preached to. This is not the show I was led to expect. Please show me where I can get a refund, thanks."

Anyone else who also wants to leave & get a refund would presumably follow.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

anachronistic Guest
    Unfortunately, I do not have the balls to stand up infront of all those people and say that.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    shiet.. so like i was saying, when do "I" get paid?? i am an illusionist too you know...

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast