+ Follow This Topic
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Before sending in my absentee ballot

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well, I don't hate on anyone who is religious. I just view it as an outdated way of living. In fact, I don't mind most of "Christian values", I'd just like to see the God part of it dropped. So long as someone else keeps their beliefs to themselves, I figure this is a question of their own mental development. As Mish said earlier, there seems to be a genuine need for religion in the psyche of a lot of ppl. Who am I to take that away from them? As I mentioned in that other thread tho, if someone believes its okay to knock on my door and tell my why its good to be Christian, then they better not get upset when we shake them up a bit & recommend the mental health benefits of being atheist. Fair is fair, after all.
    Last edited by IndiReloaded; 03-11-08 at 07:05 AM.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    My only real issue with Christianity is that it tends to try to credit Jesus with being the originator of benevolent behaviors.

EDIT: Well, the proselytizing can be sometimes overwhelming. I really don't mind that people believe in Jesus, though, and I've said many time that I think a lot of atheists don't really know enough about esoteric thought to have a valid opinion about ALL religion.
    Last edited by vashti; 03-11-08 at 07:05 AM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I agree. Benevolent behaviour and homage to any religious deity need not be coupled in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    My only issue with Christianity is that it tends to try to credit Jesus with being the originator of benevolent behaviors.
    I don't know Vash, the Old Testament is a holy book for Christians too and they accept everyone before Jesus. I think what seperates the character of Jesus is that it's a character of "absolute good" personified. Jesus I think is suppose to be an example of what God would do if God was human, thus they are seen as real examples to follow if one wants to be closer to God. Maybe some see him as originator of benevolence, but from my understanding the above is the only real difference.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If you think the Hebrew books are holy to Christians (and I realize they claim it is), look up Christian supercession theory. The only (theological) reason the Hebrew bible is considered holy to Christians is because Christianity needed it (back in the day) to make themselves "legitimate". The book of Leviticus is a law code - there was already PLENTY of examples of what God supposedly wanted humans to do in existence. Most of the Christian bible is re-vamped stories form the Hebrew texts and propaganda that attempted to discredit Judaism.
    Last edited by vashti; 03-11-08 at 08:32 AM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I think on the issue of superssionism, Christians are split into three different branches.

1. The new covenant is an extension of the old covenant.
    2. The new covenant is an addition to the old covenant.
    3. The new covenant is a replacement for the old covenant.

The point of view would probably depend on what type of Christian one would speak to. Though there are plenty of passages from the bible to counter the later. Matthew 5:17-20, Romans 1:16-17, John 4:22... so New Testament probably wasn't meant to be a replacement.
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Christianity was BUILT on supercession theory, Mish. The books are in conflict regarding religious practice, and the only way to explain the difference in practice is to say that the Hebrew bible no longer applies (unless you are talking about homosexuality, of course. ). That is where the "Old" vs. "New" testaments came in - it's strictly a Christian thing.

I also edited my above post, just so you know.
    Last edited by vashti; 03-11-08 at 09:04 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think that Harry Potter is a really excellent guide for how dedication to the study of magic can lead to vast improvements in our lives. I found the whole Dumbledore-Voldemort juxtaposition very inspiring. I think I'll go make an offering now in my Star Chamber.

Wait! Damn, fresh out of eye of newt.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    I think that Harry Potter is a really excellent guide for how dedication to the study of magic can lead to vast improvements in our lives.
    I think you should start a new Religion
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I've already got one, see. Just not very popular yet. Its called 'Grokkism'.

As soon as I can convince Gribble to be my head Groklord, then I'll set up the first chapter.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Convince? Convince??? I'm all ready there. Have those priestesses line up at my door.

Better yet, send them all in at once.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

At least my parents didn't have to take me to a big building with a steeple on top every Sunday to get me to read Harry Potter.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Would you believe when I was a kid I used to get myself up early Sunday morning, dress in my best clothes, and walk to Church by myself because my parents wouldn't take me?
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    Convince? Convince??? I'm all ready there. Have those priestesses line up at my door.

Better yet, send them all in at once.
    Ah yes. The Martyrdom of St. Victor?

(for those who don't know this is a hilarious Python skit)

Vicar [Michael Palin] reading 'sermon'

And it came to pass that Saint Victor was taken from this place to another place, where he was lain upon pillows of silk and made to rest himself amongst sheets of muslin and velvet. And there stroked was he by maidens of the Orient. Full sixteen days and nights stroked they him, yea verily and caressed him. His hair, ruf-fled they and their fingers rubbeth they in oil of olives and runneth them across all parts of his body forasmuch as to soothe him. And the soles of his feet licked they and the upper parts of his thigh did they anoint with the balm of forbidden trees. And with the teeth of their mouths, nibbleth they the pointed bits at the top of his ears. Yea verily, and did their tongues thereof make themselves acquainted...with his most secret places.

For fifteen days and nights did Victor withstand these maidens, but on the sixteenth day he cried out, saying, "This...is fantastic! Oh...this is terrific!" And the Lord did hear the cry of Victor. And verily came He down and slew the maidens. And caused their cottonwool buds to blow away, and their Kleenex to be laid waste utterly. And Victor, in his anguish, cried out that the Lord was a rotten bastard. And the Lord sent an angel to comfort Victor for the weekend. And entered they together the jacuzzi.

Here endeth the lesson.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678