+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why is marriage difficult?

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya View Post
    I met quite a few people who think this way Giga. The way I see it all exits should be sealed in order to concentrate on raising a family. Peace of mind, clear goals, security. It's a good thing, that's how it should be. Why so many people are scared of that doesn't make sense to me. It's as if they don't trust themselves and the choices they make. They believe they will not be satisfied with what they have.
    Well, some people WON'T be satisfied. I think those people have no business getting married. It's a big commitment. I agree that the exits should be sealed and that people should only enter into this if they're really ready to commit to a life together, moving in the same direction, helping each other along the way.

I think marriage should be separate from civil unions, which should be contracts of variable lengths (2 year, five year, 20 year, whatever). Marriage should be forever, and this is coming from someone who's been divorced before.
    Spammer Spanker

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Would you have been able to tolerate staying married to your ex, Giga?

Given you have a daughter together, some might say you should have stuck it out no matter what. Made it work, somehow.

No judgement here, just extension of your post. WOULD you have done so if "all exits were sealed"? Would you have done anything different?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Would you have been able to tolerate staying married to your ex, Giga?

Given you have a daughter together, some might say you should have stuck it out no matter what. Made it work, somehow.

No judgement here, just extension of your post. WOULD you have done so if "all exits were sealed"? Would you have done anything different?
    If I'd known I couldn't get out of it, I wouldn't have married him in the first place. I had very little respect for it at that point in my life but felt pressured to officialize things. I wouldn't do it, given the opportunity to go back and revise.
    Spammer Spanker

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    I had very little respect for it at that point in my life but felt pressured to officialize things.
    Yes, I know a couple people who went through this.

There needs to be a better way to insist, legally, that both parents are responsible and involved with any children without insisting they go through the marriage ceremony. Of course, times have changed, and having a child outside of marriage isn't the social stigma it used to be.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123