+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buying a computer!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd95
    You all are 's; except Tone, he's
    True, but I'm told I'm a totally ,
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

TAVS, speaking of which, where's your girl Jeblina been?

I dont know. She was online last Friday but I only talked to her a minute as I was headed out for the night. She use to lurk a lot, but lately I dont even know if she does that. I'm thinkin she's back with Mr. Loser but that's only a suspicion.
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Asip4u
    that's funny Lv...who cares really if it's 98 or XP? Until they phase out important software that cannot be run on 98, spending $200-$300 on a new operating sytem that isn't too different is stupid IMO.
    I disagree with this post. Win98 is a cheap, insecure, unstable, unreliable, piece of junk, even more so than other, later Microsoft products (Sorry to offend your OS Rosebud). It has more holes than GWB's brain. With the amount of vulnerabillities discovered in that OS, all a hacker needs to know is your IP address to get inside your computer (And there is nothing you can do to stop them, Microsoft does not support this OS and they stopped making patches 2 years ago).

Other reasons why you should steer way clear of this OS are:

1. Pathetic memory handling - what you opened and closed stays in memory (Open and close 20 medium size applications and welcome the Blue Screen of Death)
    2. Pathetic ustilization of CPU
    3. No built in drivers (Yup, you'll have to download them all)
    4. No security (Heck, you can even cancel out of the password to get inside of OS)
    5. Bad utilisation of HD (Mine made a bad sector cheese grader out of my old HD 5 years ago)

I should probably stop.

Sorry, the mention of this OS just drives me mad, I needed to vent
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd95
    You all are 's; except Tone, he's
    Know a little bit about everything, I always say
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Quote Originally Posted by TAVS
    I'm thinkin she's back with Mr. Loser but that's only a suspicion.
    If she is, she'll never admit it here.

Listen to Asip. He nailed it. Then get ready for your head to swim around peripherals. For example, depending on what you do, you may or may not want DVD-RW and CD-RW, rather than just plain ole CDR and DVD. Bump Asip on that, too. (I get commissions.)

BTW, I've been a technical writer for about 10 years, and I don't know of ANYONE in the IT field who's paid for their personal software. Software just kinda gloms onto you when you walk around anywhere in that profession.

Though you probably won't want to do it, Rosebud, because there's a fairly steep learning curve involved, I NEVER buy "assembled" machines. I get everything one piece at a time and assemble and install everything myself. Get better bargains and get to know EXACTLY what's on your machine. I also blow off (erase) my hard drives every 8 months or so, just as a matter of general maintenance and housekeeping.
    Speak less. Say more.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebud
    I was wondering if a celeron was something on the cheaper side!
    If you're doing just basic productivity stuff -- word processing, spread sheets and the like -- ONE AT TIME -- Celeron is perfertly adequate. You'd probably be happier avoiding it (although it IS difficult to say "no" when you see how the price drops for half the bus speed!)
    Speak less. Say more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya
    I disagree with this post. Win98 is a cheap, insecure, unstable, unreliable, piece of junk, even more so than other, later Microsoft products (Sorry to offend your OS Rosebud). It has more holes than GWB's brain. With the amount of vulnerabillities discovered in that OS, all a hacker needs to know is your IP address to get inside your computer (And there is nothing you can do to stop them, Microsoft does not support this OS and they stopped making patches 2 years ago).

Other reasons why you should steer way clear of this OS are:

1. Pathetic memory handling - what you opened and closed stays in memory (Open and close 20 medium size applications and welcome the Blue Screen of Death)
    2. Pathetic ustilization of CPU
    3. No built in drivers (Yup, you'll have to download them all)
    4. No security (Heck, you can even cancel out of the password to get inside of OS)
    5. Bad utilisation of HD (Mine made a bad sector cheese grader out of my old HD 5 years ago)

I should probably stop.

Sorry, the mention of this OS just drives me mad, I needed to vent

I rarely noticed any of those as being huge problems. On the built in drivers, it's a good point although very minimal improvement IMO. Talk about security, how many security updates did you need to get for XP? They seem to come up with a new update every few months...Microsoft still has ways to go.
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

Quote Originally Posted by Asip4u
    I rarely noticed any of those as being huge problems. On the built in drivers, it's a good point although very minimal improvement IMO. Talk about security, how many security updates did you need to get for XP? They seem to come up with a new update every few months...Microsoft still has ways to go.
    Asip4u, I noticed the difference. Not seeing a Blue Screen of Death every couple of hours really improved my experience. Security updates, let's just say Win98 (on Dial up) is only as good as the new virus. According to security Baseline, an unpatched, uninfected Microsoft PC lasts less than two hours on a public network.

I agree, Microsoft has a long way to go. So if you want something good go with Linux. If you can't do without Microsoft then Win XP is (Not the worst) alternative.
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Rosebud is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Hayward, I do agree on building a computer but I would have to leave that up to my borhter since he is a computer wizard.. And with that, I like to do things myself without having to depend on him or anyone else to do it for me even though it may be the better route. I do agree with the specs Asip gave me for the computer and I think I am going to steer clear of the Celeron processor.

The only problem I have had with windows 98 are exactly the things Mish mentioned ( by the way don't worry baout insulting my OS Mish!!) which is why I'm basically looking for a new computer not to mention I need the faster speed and to be able to download and burn cd's. But the programs I'm not worried about because my brother has all kinds of software I can install on my computer if I needed it.

But at least I know now what the differences are when looking for a computer, and hopefully I ahve a brand new one here in the next couple weeks. YAY!!!
    If you can't handle the thorns, don't crave the rose!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mishanya
    Asip4u, I noticed the difference. Not seeing a Blue Screen of Death every couple of hours really improved my experience. Security updates, let's just say Win98 (on Dial up) is only as good as the new virus. According to security Baseline, an unpatched, uninfected Microsoft PC lasts less than two hours on a public network.

I agree, Microsoft has a long way to go. So if you want something good go with Linux. If you can't do without Microsoft then Win XP is (Not the worst) alternative.
    very true about the blue screen , when i had win 98 , it used to give me the death screen at least 3-4 times per day ... every hour or so . with xp , iv had xp for about 2 years now , it only happened twice that the pc crashed and a screen came up .

How often do you defragment your HD guys? I haven't done it for awhile now.
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

it doesn't really matter what you have, as long as you maintain it well. Keep it spyware/adware free, virus protected, cleaned up, and organized, and it will never matter who its made by or what you do with it. I have a dell with XP. It works great, and it cost a whole helluva lot less than it would have if I had bought it (with the exact same specs) from anywhere else. I've never had a crash or fatal error in the 1.5 years I've had it. I don't game, its mostly for school work, and all my art and multimedia.
    I'm drowning in assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Debunkt
    it doesn't really matter what you have, as long as you maintain it well. Keep it spyware/adware free, virus protected, cleaned up, and organized, and it will never matter who its made by or what you do with it.
    Well, I have a copy of Win 95 somewhere, would it matter if we swapped it with your XP?
    Ask the wind for the way
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123