+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If your partner was lost at sea,like Tom Hanks in that movie, how long would you wait

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    I disagree.
    Really? Well what about teenagers that die? Most of them probably fight with their parents non-stop, and relationships are typically strained with that age group. Do you imagine it is any easier on their parents when kids die because they had a troubled relationship?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Really? Well what about teenagers that die? Most of them probably fight with their parents non-stop, and relationships are typically strained with that age group. Do you imagine it is any easier on their parents when kids die because they had a troubled relationship?
    I don't believe the death of a child is as relevant to this topic.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Why not? We are talking about moving on after a death, aren't we? The bond of a parent to a child often surpasses the bond between spouses.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

I met a woman once whose husband had disappeared 15 years previously. She knew that it was almost a certainty that he had been killed, but because there was no body she felt she was in this limbo even though he had been declared legally dead years before.
    She was in her early 20's when he went missing and when I met her, it had all taken its toll on her i think her life got stolen from her. A few years ago his body did turn up but at that stage I'm not sure it did anything other than cause her more trauma.

So to answer the original question, in the film the plane crashed in the middle of the ocean and the chance of the Tom Hanks character surviving were negligible as were the chances of ever knowing for certain. So it wouldn't really be a case of waiting for him to come home, once I was certain myself that he was dead I'd start grieving.

Oh, that's just awful, Sarah. That poor woman.
    Spammer Spanker

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Why not? We are talking about moving on after a death, aren't we? The bond of a parent to a child often surpasses the bond between spouses.
    We are talking about moving on after death of a significant other.

Yes, the bond between spouses is different from the bond between parent and child.

But so is the bond between pet and owner, and between siblings.

The only reason why I mentioned children/family is because I understand the relationships with them will have an affect on how a person will cope with the loss of their significant other.

It helps with the loss of a loved one if you still have other loved ones about....
    "The weakest soul, knowing its own weakness, and believing this truth that strength can only be developed by effort and practice, will, thus believing, at once begin to exert itself, and, adding effort to effort, patience to patience, and strength to strength, will never cease to develop, and will at last grow divinely strong."

- James Allen

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee View Post
    The only reason why I mentioned children/family is because I understand the relationships with them will have an affect on how a person will cope with the loss of their significant other.
    Honestly, Fras, I think if my husband died I'd be very, very upset. But given our son is still young, I'd feel like I'd have to put his grief ahead of mine. My post was only a guess, but I imagine it would take me at least a couple years to adjust. But I don't think anyone, except the truly heartless, ever completely get over the death of someone they love, or ever loved. But, like Vash said, life must go on.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

I think most people in tragedies of that type do not remarry and do grieve for life. Most do not seek any companion/partner. Others do seek a companion/lover but only for a casual relationship. The ones that do find someone say they were not looking...it just happened.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123