+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Intelligence -- Intimidating or not?

aw man im just teasing you!!!
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.

ok good - because i actually have a light on in my room.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    In addition to a large number of other traits, intelligence is also something which would rate high on my list of priorities for both friendships and relationships. As stated above, intelligence comes in a variety of forms, none of which are necessarily better than the other.

While my personal interests range primarily in the field of computer technology and women tend to be somewhat scarce in that field, I don't find intellectual conversation or intelligence to be intimidating by either sex.

One concern which I have noted after observation is the tendency for some women to be unnecessarily restrained in conversation or participation, especially when confronted by an environment which could potentially be intimidating due to the large ratio of males to females in attendance. In addition, sexist behaviors on the part of certain men has also been known to create difficulties. A majority of women are aware of these problems and adapt accordingly, however on the part of women who are overwhelmed by the experience, people who fail to realize that problem could easily mistake those who are otherwise intelligent and good-natured to be exceedingly nervous and therefore not worth the interaction.

I have never believed it appropriate to rate people soley on intelligence, as there are many other factors which can influence both the perception and interpretation of those traits.
    Wow! very impressive thoughts on this matter!

Quote Originally Posted by squirrley
    OMFG-that shit is hilarious Alexi! OMG I almost choked on my chicken!!!

OMFG I cant stop laughing...
    sooooooooooo...you are eating zee chicken??? very interesting...

uh yea...I was eating chicken...choked on it too!
    everything happens for a reason...beginning to wonder why.

other ppl say i am a very intelligent woman who was a constant honor student since elementary but very stupid in love coz i got a low IQ exhubby, but for me that doesnt matter as long as there is love...but sometimes, i got bored coz we cant even discuss intellectual matters...anyway, he is history now...
    i love u lots sam....my sweet baby

Quote Originally Posted by sfalexi
    Well,

I've had a few situations that I deemed a girl too UN-intelligent. I mean, when you have to explain such trivial things to someone (something that I would consider "common sense") whenever you try to talk about something or try to make a joke, it gets very annoying.
    Haha. I completely agree. Stupidity is a MAJOR turn off (so is an all-around cluelessness about the world around you, even if you are intelligent). When I'm with girls, I'll always be testing them, making little jokes at them to see if they know how to respond, or even catch them to begin with. If they don't know how to respond or can't even catch them, my interest drops. In my experience, the girls that are the most fun to be around are the ones that can give you a clever come back and keep going.

As for intelligence, its a prereq to anyone I'd date and its always a plus. BUT... the girl should be outgoing. A lot of the well-versed, articulate girls I know behave very snobbish and that cancels out the intelligence to me. If a girl can still be down-to-earth with a sense of humor (and a rocking body), the smarter the better.
    I gave you my heart
    I gave you my soul
    Now I'm just another number
    at the Center for Disease Control

Quote Originally Posted by MVP
    In my experience, the girls that are the most fun to be around are the ones that can give you a clever come back and keep going.
    One of the MOST fun girls I ever dated was like that. She could take them, but she knew how to dish 'em back out. That's what made it fun as hell.

Alexi

i love smart wimmens. they can get free alcohol from even dumber guys. always make these wimmen your friends and partners. the dumb ones, are potentially smart, they just have to be treated that way. something like that.
    "Don't be afraid to fail because only through failure do you
    learn to succeed." "Oh and be careful what you do...you'll never know who's watching..."

Intelligence is attractive. where is the thrill of the chase if the girl ur trying to impress has all the IQ of a dead squirrel?

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Intelligence is important in both genders I think. I think it might be more of a disqualification than a qualification for a lot of people though. As in, you can't be below some IQ level, but anything that high won't earn you extra points.

And I think it depends on the type of intelligence. Social intelligence, where I lack tremendously, is obviously important in any relationship (how ironic!).

People say intelligent conversation is maeningful, but the only intelligent conversations I've ever had were in the areas of chemistry, math, or physics. How many girls find an hour long discussion on the d-orbital intriguing? Not many. So by intelligent conversation, it really means intelligent conversation with some type of emotional connection, or there must be some type of personal connection to be made. Maybe it's implied, but yaa... I didn't pick up on that quick enough

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Damn, this is a really old thread!

Intelligence is extremely important to me. However, I have to say that in my experience, outrageously intelligent people very often lack basic common sense. There is no substitute for common sense.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Oh damn,thats why,my overbearing genius,gets in the way of common sense.sniffle,no wonder no-one likes me,theyre out to get me you know,they all are!
    "Nobody , so long as he moves about among the chaotic currents of life , is without trouble. Carl jung

cliff!!! i miss you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm not intimidated by intelligence, but i do get annoyed with people who use it for evil.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    cliff!!! i miss you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm not intimidated by intelligence, but i do get annoyed with people who use it for evil.
    you sound like something out of a manga comic book
    "Nobody , so long as he moves about among the chaotic currents of life , is without trouble. Carl jung

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast