+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "open relationship" wasn't as "open" as we thought

I have been in a open relationship and even a swinger relationship - the key to make these type of relationships to work is communication. Just because you're "open" doesn't mean it gives you the right not to communicate about what you do. The more you share with one another, even if it is sleeping with another person, builds stronger bonds, hiding it makes it seem like you do not trust an individual and did "wrong." The moment you start feeling wrong, insecure, or jealous, being open is NOT right for you. It takes a lot of dedication and being open minded, free of insecurity to pull these types of dating smoothly. Other wise, it ends in disaster.

Ric is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Kira View Post
    I have been in a open relationship and even a swinger relationship - the key to make these type of relationships to work is communication. Just because you're "open" doesn't mean it gives you the right not to communicate about what you do. The more you share with one another, even if it is sleeping with another person, builds stronger bonds, hiding it makes it seem like you do not trust an individual and did "wrong." The moment you start feeling wrong, insecure, or jealous, being open is NOT right for you. It takes a lot of dedication and being open minded, free of insecurity to pull these types of dating smoothly. Other wise, it ends in disaster.
    It's a sad misunderstanding that an open relationship means you can just **** around without any consequences. But, as you say, there are rules too. Communication still being the first and foremost of them. The open relationships I've been in where build around full trust and communication. Any future one I might be in will be like that.
    Jealousy has no room in an open relationship, so for that to work it's best to be honest about who you have sex with. If you're going to **** a stranger, let your partner know, at least when you might be expected home. Don't ever call off a date or arrangement with your partner to have sex with someone else.
    Unless you can manage to find someone for great sex you are otherwise not at all interested in, don't go having sex with the same "stranger" often, as that has potential to build up an emotional bond.
    If you happen to notice any kind of emotional bond forming with a sexual partner, cut off contact with them.

This works for me, for others it might be different, but I personally think this is a smart setup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12