+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why don't you?

"If we spirits have offended think but this and all is mended . . ."

I am a Christian I grew up in Catholic schools and I have gone to all kinds of different churches - I say that I am Christian though I very rarely claim a denomination. Needless to say with being a Christian comes hand in hand with a belief in God, and my faith calls me to do some "crazy things."

However, I also believe there are alot of people who are good people and don't know God or believe differently than me - I don't believe that condemns them to anything less in this life or after it.

I believe that there are people that live on this Earth that are condemned here by narrow minded people - in the name of faith, in the name of bigotry, etc and I believe that they will not be condemned after this life.

My belief in God requires a leap of faith - - to me it's like believing in real love. I may not have experienced it for myself yet. I am pretty sure I've seen it. I just have to make that leap and believe it's out there because that believing makes it all worthwhile for me. I know that I may never find the proof or the words to change people's minds but there is no proof or no words that will change mine to the contrary.

However, if I take all of my "beliefs" and put them in a box let me tell you what I KNOW - - - I "joined" this group less than a month ago. I KNOW the people here are GOOD people - - no one says anything cruel just for the sake of being cruel. Sure sometimes we say the things people don't want to hear but not JUST to be a jerk. KNOWING that the people here are good people is why I come back and why I value the "friendships" that I have struck here. KNOWING you people I would gladly step to the plate and say that anyone who comes "in here" condemning over superficial differences - - that,well, they are just wrong.

I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend. - Jack Handy

Iron I was reading and replying so I missed your reply until after I posted mine - - I must confess I knew you were a pretty cool guy to have won the heart of our Ms.Squirrely but your post was very eloquently put. . .thanks for sharing.

I think the mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend. - Jack Handy

But see, those rules put forth by "God"....they're man made too. PEOPLE wrote that book, there's no evidence they had any real divine experience. There are people everyday that are told by voices that the world will end, they're called schizophreniacs. (didn't even hafta look up the spelling on that one ) But yeah, its a book of mythology, just like picking up a book about Jupiter/Zeus. If its what makes you define your morals thats awesome, but the problem is when people like sweetie take it too far and are so convinced that it is universal law that they must convert the planet or be damned to the same place as the pedophiles littered in their own religion.
    Heit ist mein taug.

I have to confess I'm inclined to agree with Zekk. I don't believe in the bible because it was written by a bunch of men who claim it's God's word. The same kind of men who used to think of women as possessions; not equals. But, at the same time, I respect and admire people who live it everyday. Robert Schuller was once asked, "what if you are wrong and there really IS no God? And you find you've wasted your time devoting your life to him?" His reply was, "but look at all the good I've done. There are a lot of people who are better off because I believed." A wonderful way to look at it.

tooxshort is offline Souljah
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    jslaughter, iron, m0by, and breezy ... im glad that u guys arent just stating "YOU'RE WRONG, NO CHANCE HE EXISTS..." ...

it reminds me of when i asked my friend "Do you believe in Heaven?" and he said "well, if you don't believe in heaven, you just die and it's all good ... but if you do, then at least there's a 50/50 chance it's there ... so why not?"

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy18
    Robert Schuller was once asked, "what if you are wrong and there really IS no God? And you find you've wasted your time devoting your life to him?" His reply was, "but look at all the good I've done. There are a lot of people who are better off because I believed." A wonderful way to look at it.
    Excellent point!
    Have you read the DaVinci Code by Dan Brown? It posses similar theory, how the bible is actually contradictory to the modern day beliefs. But for the arguments sake, I can't imagine a world where God dosn't exist. There'd be a chaos everywhere. Murder, sex, violence. Yes, we have those already, but there'd be no laws against it.

Yes, but people like sweetie who try to guilt trip people into converting and presenting an obnoxious closeminded attitude towards the other beliefs people have aren't able to say "look at all the good I've done." They're taking it many steps too far.
    Heit ist mein taug.

I quite agree, Zekk. Sweetie does not understand what she's talking about. IMHO to be a true Christian it's not enough to KNOW scripture, you must live it. Living by the golden rule and spreading the word through your own actions in a non threatening manner. Diversity is what makes the world so grand. Tolerance is what makes it beautiful.
    To m0by: no I haven't read that book but I'll look for it in the library.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12