+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overconfidence - too much of a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins
    You know you want me.
    Damn it, you read my mind.

Haha... I checked back to this thread and I was like, "Woah, 38 replies. These people are helpful!"

How wrong I was, I realize, reading through the last two pages of replies. Which are all pretty much from the same two people.

no i never like over confident people. in fact over confident people do not even need to go around telling people they are good and you still can recognise them. those people fundamentally behaved like they think they are the best and nobody else is good and such. you can tell....talking about "oooh im great“ can sometimes either be from an over confident person or an average person in jest

King Zarathu Guest
    Some ass deleted all of our posts converse!

Ooops! Sorry John. We did give some serrious replies though a few pages back.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer
    Converse, you are exceptional value on this forum.

i only read the 1st few posts ...all i can say is ... from what you say ... i would like to punch your face because i hate guys like you .

King Zarathu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Late_vamp
    i only read the 1st few posts ...all i can say is ... from what you say ... i would like to punch your face because i hate guys like you .
    Thank you for sharing

I seem to go for cockiness, but actual overconfidence is not good. I guess it's just a fine balance that you have to maintain.
    For example, I was sitting in my calc class with Cute Lab Partner last semester and the rather irritating kid that sits behind us made some wise-ass comment to the professor. Cute Lab Partner turned to me and said something like "I can't believe he said that - I mean, I would say it, but I can get away with it because I'm cute." At the time I was rather annoyed at his overconfidence there, but as I've gotten to know him better I've kind of realized that while he certainly has a healthy supply of self-confidence, that particular comment was uncharacteristically cocky. What I'm saying is, I REALLY liked this guy, and even then his overconfidence got to me. If a girl isn't sure yet or doesn't even know you, I feel like it will do more harm than good.

So this is related, and I'm just wondering what everyone thinks.

I rock at foosball (table soccer). I'm truly amazing. The only people who have beaten me in the past few years are my dad and my sister - every single person I've played at school has been crushed. I invite people to a game by asking "Hey, want me to beat you at foosball?" If anyone makes any implication that they intend to win, I quickly set them straight by assuring them that I will destroy them and then proceeding to destroy them. While we're playing, I taunt rather mercilessly.
    Thing is, if you met me off the court (or the table, as it were) you would never think to call me cocky or overconfident. I'm quite mild-mannered, and if I make a comment that could come across as cocky, it's quite clearly self-deprecating sarcasm. No one has ever seemed offended by my ridiculously competitive, overbearingly cocky attitude in foosball, and my reasoning is that since it's something so clearly irrelevant to life, (unlike "I'm so smart" or "I'm so beautiful" or "I'm so musically talented") that the whole situation kind of mocks itself. People seem amused by this strange anomaly of my personality, but would any of you actually be offended by it?

King Zarathu Guest
    No. I think it's kinda sexy and hott. It's weird, thinking about it is extremely attractive to me--even though I'm just reading it online.

By the way, I'm not being sarcastic.

actually i woulnt be offended by that ... but when someone comes over and even in a joking manner says things like ...well in the 1st post ... that person is bound to receive a punch to the face at some point . At least i would be tempted to do that .

Quote Originally Posted by Pears
    Damn it, you read my mind.
    I knew it!
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Tone Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lovesjoyajm
    I rock at foosball (table soccer). I'm truly amazing.
    You should play my roommate... he plays every weekend at the bars and he is pretty damn good. He's always in so much control... he passes the ball so well, finds the holes, and has a killer shot that is almost unblockable.

I think he would beat you.

I can't play foosball, I'm good at pool though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer
    Converse, you are exceptional value on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone
    You should play my roommate... he plays every weekend at the bars and he is pretty damn good. He's always in so much control... he passes the ball so well, finds the holes, and has a killer shot that is almost unblockable.

I think he would beat you.
    Haha. There's a website ([url]http://www.foosball.com/content.php?page=110[/url]) where you can get your "foosball rating". I just went online the other day searching for "how to organize a foosball tournament" and I found this site... and unfortunately, had to rate myself an 800. Is that the level your roommate's on? If so, bring it on :-p

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast