+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would A Female like being called "pretty" on 1st impression

Quote Originally Posted by Kromat View Post
    I find it better to get a conversation going about an interest or an event in the news, or something interesting that she hasn't heard before and see how she responds.

Do we really have to say someone is pretty? If we like their personality, does it matter for them to hear that?

I know lots of attractive women that would draw my attention to talk to them, but once you got to know them, they weren't as attractive from your first impression when they were in a conversation about particular topics.
    Yeah, I hate giving my number and then we have a conversation and I am no longer attracted to him (or vice versa). Now he has my number and I have to figure out a way to politely to tell him to stop contacting me.

Now that I am older, unless I find him attractive after conversating I am not giving him my number no matter how he looks or compliments my looks.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

I don't like it when someone is so excited about getting a number because If you don't know how they are like before, what makes you think that they'll remember to pick up when they have nothing to draw back on, that gives them a hint about who you are and wanting to continue.

The world would be a totally different place, if everyone looked attractive, because no one would be left out and we wouldn't care about how someone looked and just pick someone and start interacting and If you don't connect, you move on.

P.S. I've got multiple numbers before, but it didn't mean much, If they wouldn't pick up.
    Who knows, If the number is real anyways as most get asked that question and probably choose wisely.

" Nothing is a waste of time, if you use the experience wisely."
    => Auguste Rodin

I'm not saying that it's smart to walk up to a girl and just say, "hey, I think you're beautiful. Can I get your number?" That's not what I do. I know that women are approached multiple times per day and the guy needs to be different. It's not how I approached the new girl. In fact, we talked for probably an hour or so before she asked for MY number.
    I don't chase, I replace.

For me it just might depend on the context. It might be ok, but it also might sound like you're "laying it on thick".

I would try to have a few more conversations with her before you ask. See if there are any moments where you "click", then ask her for her number. Plus these moments will provide good context for your next conversation.

Some might disagree and say just plow forward. This isn't bad advice because you never know, she might just give it to you. But personally I'm more likely to give a guy my number if I know a bit more about him and have more to go on.
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by lesa View Post
    Really? I guess it depends on the setting. Usually I am out running errands. It sounds nice if he was only giving a compliment and not asking for my number. Saying that she is pretty is not an issue. It's his reason for asking. Aren't all girls pretty? Just ask for the number if you can't think of anything else to say.

I would rather he gain an interest in me due to my personality than my looks. I do understand that looks is the main thing that drives a man to ask for her number. That's the point. All girls are pretty. Damn, do I have low self esteem or something and need a boost? Once I give the number, he's going to tell me that anyways, I hope.

BUT, I would decline if I was not already interested in him. My ex just came up to me and asked me for my number. He was a complete gentlemen. I already knew that it was my looks that must have caught his attention since we have never spoken to each other until he asked for my number. He was very attractive (lol=pretty) so I was already interested in him.

The point is that we already know it's about looks. There's no need to say that.

WAIT!!! How old are you TimeChange? I ask because I can imagine a teen fantasizing and doing girly things because a dude called her 'pretty'. An older woman would not be that easy to get. She likes to hear that from a man she knows.

What I meant was that I may be old-fashioned and like guys who are gentleman-like in every sense of the word (however, what he says may not be as important as what he does, we all know that). I love honesty and politeness and might be able to open up faster if I sense that my admirer is just that. I was not so much concerneed as to what he says he likes about me, as much as how he approaches and how he says that. I thought that the guy who posted this thread is honest and that is why I encouraged him to open up like that. It doesn't matter what he says - she's pretty, interesting, funny, he likes her behaviour (believe me, you can see a lot watching from afar). I wouldn't mind if he said I am pretty because I believe that everything is beautiful and need to be acknowledged (inside and outside). There is nothing wrong with that.

What young guys don't understand is how important the first impression is. Simply going up to a girl and saying "Wow, you're pretty! Can I have your phone number?" does not cut it. You know what they are thinking? Why the hell would you want someone's phone number just because they look good? *cough cough wants to get laid cough* And why would you want their phone number if you can't talk now? All you want is a phone number? Gee.

Anyway, have a conversation with her. A long conversation. Don't try to cut it short. Then at the end of the conversation (Should be at least a half-hour) consider asking her for her number.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    What young guys don't understand is how important the first impression is. Simply going up to a girl and saying "Wow, you're pretty! Can I have your phone number?" does not cut it. You know what they are thinking? Why the hell would you want someone's phone number just because they look good? *cough cough wants to get laid cough* And why would you want their phone number if you can't talk now? All you want is a phone number? Gee.

Anyway, have a conversation with her. A long conversation. Don't try to cut it short. Then at the end of the conversation (Should be at least a half-hour) consider asking her for her number.
    What if he doesn't have enough time to talk to her, but likes her very much and fears that he won't be able to see her again? It's all relative. In a perfect situation, we would want to talk for some time and then decide on a date etc.; however, reality, sometimes, can be just the opposite.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think I'm pretty horrible at this. I enjoy lavishing women with compliments. I can't help myself. In one way or another they're (mostly) all lovely.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

First Off...I enjoyed reading everybody's response on here. And thank you all of your time and opinion.

Now first off, Yeah I'm a teen...I'm 16 years old and she's a year younger

And I am basically asking her for her phone # because of her looks...But it's not just like reg pretty...It's like the lightning bolt pretty with me. She is very pretty, but there could be someone who looks better than her standing right next to her and I'll be more attracted to her than the better looking girl. Understand where I'm going?

And I do know her briefly...she knows I exist, we might've talked like once or twice but very small chat relating to school work.

Quote Originally Posted by katya View Post
    What if he doesn't have enough time to talk to her, but likes her very much and fears that he won't be able to see her again? It's all relative. In a perfect situation, we would want to talk for some time and then decide on a date etc.; however, reality, sometimes, can be just the opposite.
    Then he can have a clever exit, like having a business card.
    " Here, I don't have much time, so I'll give you this card and you do with it what you want, but will adjust my schedule, If your interested. " I had lots of fun, and it was nice talking to you. " " Think about it. "

As for calling someone pretty, if your attracted to them and the conservation is going well, as well as the personality is something that you find intriguing, then that is what you'll think about and want to continue.
    As well as, when your going out, once or twice a week is fine enough to get to know each other, and the more your apart, the more you want to see them the next time.

" Nothing is a waste of time, if you use the experience wisely."
    => Auguste Rodin

Quote Originally Posted by katya View Post
    If he really likes her that much then he will probably have another opportunity. After all, he must have had a past with her and this was not the first meeting...otherwise how could he really like her? If he doesn't have another opportunity then there was no great point in getting her number in the first place.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Be original.

"Your visual appearance has caused a biological trigger to release electrochemical solutions in my brain. Could I get your contact details in case further tests are required?"

Wouldn't work, but it would be amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    Be original.

"Your visual appearance has caused a biological trigger to release electrochemical solutions in my brain. Could I get your contact details in case further tests are required?"
    Science is not original; it is nerdy... well not nerdy, until some dweeb with coke-bottle glasses approaches a girl and uses it as a pickup line. Either that or when the tool with the inferiority complex memorizes a line like that from a Wikipedia article and goes around and tries to impress people with it. Neither are attractive. You're doomed for failure if you have to premeditate crafty little lines like that all the time, anyway. The real originality comes when you just be yourself.

Seriously, just walk up to the girl as if she were any other human being and have a conversation with her. If you can't even have a meaningful conversation with her, it's worthless anyways. Save the compliments for the first date, when she finally earns them.

And as for pickup lines, most are just too damn blatantly obvious. You want to come up with a phrase that makes the girl curious and go "What the hell?" and have her questioning you more.
    Last edited by doppelgaenger; 08-10-08 at 02:37 PM.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    LOL, well I certainly wouldn't be offended if someone called me pretty.

I might think him a bit nervous or inexperienced, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Anyway, its more in *how* its said. It would depend on the context & rest of his body language whether I found it endearing or creepy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12