+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Did I come on too strong?

Did I come on too strong?

Hey everyone, new to this forum and just wanted some quick advice on what I could have done better given the following scenario. So a bit about me, I'm 23 and in college at a major university in California. I wouldn't consider myself Fabio by any means, but I generally don't have a problem picking up girls in social situations. Here's my dilemma: today during mass I sat next to some girl who I found to be really attractive. When we held hands during the middle of mass to give grace to God, I felt a connection, it's almost indescribable. At that very moment I knew I wanted to get to know her better, and I wasn't going to miss my chance to get her number. Anyways, keep in mind I said I don't have a problem picking up women in social situations (i.e. clubs). So as I sat there during mass I was trying to think of a smooth way to approach her with the very little time I had (I had to be at a meeting). Once mass was over I was going to just walk away as I couldn't think of anything to say, but something came over me and I turned around and said, "Hey, I wanted to introduce myself I'm ____ , what's your name?" She smiles and introduces herself. I proceed, "look, I hate to come off too strong but I just couldn't help myself you're so beautiful." She blushed. I say, "I have to get going because I'm short on time, but do you think I can have your number so i can take you out to dinner some time?" She hesitates, smiles, and gives me her number. All is great and I'm on my way. I text her about an hour later but she doesn't reply. Did I do something wrong? Just for the record I generally don't like to hit on girls when it doesn't feel right, but as I stated, she had me in awe and I must admit, I was nervous as can be but I wasn't about to let the opportunity get away. Sort of sucks because I never put myself out their and the one time I do I get rejected. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Hop everyone has a great day!
    Last edited by LostAbyss; 05-03-12 at 06:56 AM.

Will you see her at mass again?
    Some people are drains and some are radiators... Keep clear of the drains and hug the radiators!

Quote Originally Posted by pisces25 View Post
    Will you see her at mass again?
    Not sure. I asked her if she came their often, and she said it was her first time.

If she likes you she will go again

Anyway IMO perhaps texting one hour after her number is a bit keen. Maybe she has a boyfriend or felt a bit uncomfortable with the attention.
    Some people are drains and some are radiators... Keep clear of the drains and hug the radiators!

It take a girl 7 seconds to determine whether you are BF material or not.......it really doesn't matter on your approach, not every girl is going to yes to you. Better luck on the next one.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I didn't txt her out of desperation fyi, just txt her to so she can have my number. I'll keep you all updated if anything happens, but as of now I'm just going to keep it pushin'. At least I tried

Since you met at church, maybe she isn't a club girl and feels it is shallow to comment on a girl's appearance. Or maybe she thinks it is low-class to pick up somebody at a worship ceremony. You said you don't have any trouble picking up girls in social situations, and later you said you never put yourself out there. Seems contradictory to me. And Fabio? Really?

There isn't any alcoholic beverages being served at church mass so that's probably why she didn't respond well like the drunk girls you are so used to hitting on in a club.

Really, why all the hate? I came here asking for advice, not silly comments. I know it's questionable asking for her number at church, but I did it with the best intentions. Not like im just looking for another girl to bang. Anyways, as I said Im not worried because I at least tried and thats all that matters.

@smackle, quit being a troll, seriously

Quote Originally Posted by LostAbyss View Post
    Really, why all the hate? I came here asking for advice, not silly comments. I know it's questionable asking for her number at church, but I did it with the best intentions. Not like im just looking for another girl to bang. Anyways, as I said Im not worried because I at least tried and thats all that matters.

@smackle, quit being a troll, seriously
    I didn't mention anything about you just wanting to bang someone, but I think my point is quite valid. A club situation is just that, alcohol is consumed and inhibitions are lowered making it easy pickins, being approached is the norm (duh). At church, no one expects to be hit on.....to some it's inappropriate. Does that clarify things now?

Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
    I didn't mention anything about you just wanting to bang someone, but I think my point is quite valid. A club situation is just that, alcohol is consumed and inhibitions are lowered making it easy pickins, being approached is the norm (duh). At church, no one expects to be hit on.....to some it's inappropriate. Does that clarify things now?
    You didn't mention it, but you were alluding it; and if you can't comprehend that, maybe you should think twice about what you type and/or work on your choice of diction

No and I already explained my comment to you and I stand by what I said... I don't know how you got sexual innuendo (banging) out of it, how you decipher it is out of my control....you want to see it that way that's your business..... It's a free public forum....maybe you should go somewhere else and pay for advice....maybe you will get what you pay for.